Search Box

Custom Search

Monday, June 15, 2009

Returning to Yar Roots!

Okidokey, well here I am again with my comics recommendations for the month (I'll try to not blabber as much as I can) and I've actually haven't read much comics for weeks now and there's a lot to catch up too...well mostly Marvel stuff (Dark Reign & Ultimatum) but I've got a smattering of Image (The Walking Dead), Icon (Kick-Ass), and Avatar (Crossed & Gravel) to get to reading also. DC fans don't be left out, I've been busy putting up DC movies for the PSP in my other blog (incidentally Wonder Woman is up next week). However for you loyal peeps here (and I see there are two of ya ;-) I made it a point to come up with kinda like a "theme" for my recommends (well, I try to anyway)...and since I've been in a way..."back home" myself for a couple of months now I thought...what the hey, a pair of "local haunts" and "home is where the heart is" comicbook stories seemed timely. Fortunately, I found these two gems: Image's Back to Brooklyn written by one of my all the time favorite Garth Ennis and superb true stories editorial at the end of every issue by Jimmy Palmiotti (be sure to read it) What it's about? Just two woids: Brooklyn Mobsters...written by Ennis! What else do ya need to know?? Well, ok the other book Night Falls is by a lesser known writer (at least to me) named Evan Dorkin (I swear this no Dorkin story! ;-) tells the tale of one of the more under-rated comicbook characters (at least to me), The Thing (yeah, of the Fantastic4) as he goes solo back to his neighborhood in Yancy Street (and anyone who knows Benjy knows Yancy holds a lot of history for him). I personally have a soft spot for The Thing so I was pleasantly surprised that he has his own...well...solo thing...and Night Falls on Yancy Street has that dark noir, nostalgic feel to it...that you'd think it was written in the 80's (actually it was done in 2003). In any case, you guys (or gals) wouldn't want to miss these two tales of high tension drama, brutal action packed panels, and both have explosive twisted endings!

 

Bulk Links: Back to Brooklyn
& Night Falls on Yancy Street

Comics2Read.Blogspot.com

Show & Select Links

No comments: